Request for Proposal: Expert NHRI Consultant - Pacific
Graphic: Aerial view of Port Vila, Vanuatu
Experienced consultants are requested to submit their proposals by 16 July 2021.
The Asia Pacific Forum (APF) is a coalition of National Human Rights Institutions (NHRIs) who work together to build an Asia Pacific where everyone can enjoy human rights. NHRIs are independent bodies with powers to investigate and report on human rights violations, to stand up for those in need of protection and to hold their governments to account. NHRIs also help shape laws, policies, practices and attitudes that create strong, fair and inclusive communities.
The APF provides expert advisory services to its members and prospective members in relation to the role of independent NHRIs including their functions, mandate, and internal operations. The APF's programme of work in the Pacific is supported by the New Zealand Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade (MFAT).
The primary activities within this programme have involved supporting Pacific Island countries and territories to establish national human rights institutions (NHRIs) and supporting and strengthening existing NHRIs in the sub-region. This consultancy requires a very high-level expertise and experience in relation to NHRIs and the Pacific region.
Scope of Engagement
Key tasks of the consultant include:
- Provide high-level strategic advice to support progressing APF's programme of work to establish and strengthen NHRIs in the Pacific;
- Provide high-level expertise, advice and support to Pacific countries on establishment of NHRIs;
- Contribute towards content development of resources for APF capacity development activities in the Pacific sub-region, on NHRI establishment and community consultations, complaints handling and human rights investigations among other relevant topics for strengthening NHRIs in the Pacific;
- Provide high-level strategic advice and support to strengthen existing NHRIs in the Pacific;
- Provide advice and support in monitoring, evaluation, accountability and learning of all activities and the overall programme.
The agreement will commence from July 2021 to 30 June 2023 for a period of 2 years.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience
The consultant will have demonstrated experience in:
- Holding a senior role of an NHRI and have high level understanding and knowledge of the process of studying the feasibility and requirements for establishing an NHRI;
- Have an excellent understanding and knowledge of human rights, NHRIs and the Paris Principles and engaging on substantive issues with NHRIs in the Pacific sub-region;
- Providing strategic advice for working with Governments and States and expertise in strategic organisational development for NHRIs;
- Facilitation, communication and writing skills of a high order;
- Collaborating and working in the virtual space through teleconferencing; and
- High level diplomacy, cultural and political understanding of the Pacific sub-region, gender sensitivity and confidentiality.
Additionally, the consultant will need to:
- Act in a professional manner and adhere to the APF Code of Conduct
- Work effectively and deliver outputs on time
- Be flexible and open to working in a complex environment with a small team
- Ideally have awareness of gender considerations when undertaking work
Please email your quotation/proposal to firstname.lastname@example.org by 17:00 (AEST), 16 July 2021.
- Aerial view of Port Vila, Vanuatu - Asia Travel on Shutterstock