We support NHRIs as they work to build fair, just and inclusive communities.
We bring about change by supporting the establishment of national human rights institutions in the Asia Pacific and strengthening the capacity of our members to carry out their vital work.
Through the sustained and dedicated efforts of our members, the APF is helping to build an Asia Pacific where everyone can enjoy their human rights.
OUR IMPACT IN 2022-23
We work collaboratively with our members and partners to contribute to long-term, sustainable change. In 2022-23, we:
- Launched our new Strategic Plan 2022-27.
- Strengthened NHRI engagement with regional mechanisms on the human rights impacts of climate change.
- Established the APF Human Rights Defenders (HRDs) Working Group, to support the implementation of the APF Regional Action Plan on HRDs.
- Co-hosted a Pacific Regional Forum on NHRIs to identify opportunities for establishing and strengthening NHRIs in the Pacific.
- Welcomed the Fiji Human Rights and Anti-Discrimination Commission (FHRADC) as our newest member.
- Facilitated the safe relocation of 604 Afghanistan NHRI staff and their families, since the Taliban takeover of the country in August 2021.
- Conducted capacity assessments with the NHRIs of Kazakhstan and Turkmenistan.
- Translated the NHRI Leadership Guide into Russian to assist NHRI leaders in Central Asia.
- Published an updated torture prevention guide for NHRIs, fully revised to include gender dimensions
Read our latest Annual Reports below to discover more about our work supporting NHRIs.