Graphic: Children playing and blowing bubbles
Estrada de Caicoli
Timor Leste P: +670 333 1071 F: +670 723 0177 E: firstname.lastname@example.org W: pdhj.tl/
Full membership (12th Annual Meeting, 2007); Associate membership (10th Annual Meeting, 2005)
The Office of the Provedor for Human Rights and Justice is an independent national human rights institution which has a mandate to cover matters relating to human rights and good governance.
In March 2002 the Constituent Assembly of the Democratic Republic of Timor-Leste approved and decreed the country's Constitution. Section 27 of the Constitution provides for the establishment of an Ombudsman.
On 26 May 2004 the National Parliament passed Law No. 7/2004, approving the Statute of the Office of the Ombudsman for Human Rights and Justice and establishing the Timor-Leste Provedor de Direitos Humanos e Justica (the Office of the Ombudsman (Provedor) for Human Rights and Justice).
Role and functions
The Office of the Provedor has a broad human rights mandate. It deals with cases of human rights violations, complaints, education and promotion, monitoring and generally integrating human rights into legislation and practices of Timor-Leste.
Under the founding legislation of the Office, the Provedor is empowered to:
- Receive complaints
- Investigate and inquire into matters under his or her competence, including ordering people to appear before him or her and to have access to any facilities, premises, documents, equipment, goods or information
- Visit any place of detention, treatment or care in order to inspect the conditions therein and conduct confidential interviews with persons in detention
- Refer a complaint to a competent jurisdiction or another recourse mechanism
- Seek leave of the National Parliament to appear before a court, arbitration tribunal or an administrative enquiry commission
- Act as a mediator or conciliator between the complainant and the agency or entity which is the subject of a complaint, where the parties agree to submit to such a process
- Make recommendations for redress in complaints brought before him or her
- Provide advice, including opinions, proposals and recommendations for the purpose of improving respect for human rights and good governance by the entities within his or her jurisdiction
- Report to the National Parliament in relation to the findings of an investigation or in relation to his or her recommendations.
Mr Virgilio da Silva Guterres
Provedor for Human Rights and Justice
Mrs Benicia Eriana Magno
Deputy Provedora, Human Rights
Mr Jose Telo Soares Cristovao
Deputy Provedor, Good Governance
APF 24: Presentation by Timor Leste Proverdora for Human Rights and Justice03 Sep 2019 Timor Leste
The Work of the Timor Leste Provedor for Human Rights and Justice08 Nov 2016 Timor Leste
Presentation by Torture Prevention Ambassador, Timor Leste Office of the PDHJ30 Aug 2015 Timor Leste
- Children playing and blowing bubbles - UN Photo, Flickr; http://bit.ly/1gG8LfF